Monday 5 August 2013

Cruise control

We are educating girls, raising their aspirations, even giving them a taste of professional life, and then asking them to rein in their ambitions.

Mujhe lagta hai ki hamare andar itni shakti hai...jiska day to day life mein 10 per cent bhi use nahin hoti. " (I believe we have so much power hidden within ourselves. We don't use even 10 per cent of that power in day to day life. ) 

This is not a quote from a book by Paulo Coelho or Stephen Covey. These are the words of Premlata Agarwal, speaking to me at her modest home in Jamshedpur, as she poured me a cup of tea. Premlata Agarwal is a housewife, married into a Marwari business family. Premlata Agarwal is also a world-class mountaineer and the oldest Indian woman to scale Mount Everest, at the age of 48. She is an inspirational woman whose story I had the privilege to feature in my book Follow Every Rainbow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment